Saturday, December 15, 2007

I survived AI

These past 2 days I have been going through something nobody who pops out babies easily ever has to consider. However after about a year and a half of trying to conceive, we decided to give nature some help. Artificial Insemination! Aaah!

Actually I really did not think it would be big deal. Little did I know...

First of all all the places we have to drive to are far apart and in areas I am not familiar with. We start of at the andrology lab in Parktown first. Last time Brett had to do this for the testing of his sperm he missed the cup. So this time I go in and help. We want success!

The guy at the sperm bank looks very happy for us. It turns out the sperm count is good so we have a good chance. It takes about an hour for him to "wash" the sperm during which we have some rooibos tea (me) and cappachino (Brett). Off we go with our precious parcel to the Rosebank Clinic.

When we get there it is nightmare to actually get there. The place is full of one-way streets and it is the opposite directions to what it says on the map. After going around the block I pull over and ask the security guard where the heck do I park. Finally we find a parking spot and, miraculously, the offices, and off I go.

This next part was just plain awful. There is no other way to say it. I thought it would be dead simple, but it turned out to be painful and I bled a lot. I saw the doctor pull out a series of blood soaked pipes until he could get the sperm in. He struggled to get it in and had to damage my cervix.

After enduring that I was not happy to get to the desk afterwards and find out that they charged me considerably more than was quoted. Sigh. At least there is some chance of recovering this from the medical aid.

So I was feeling very weak after that. Managed to do the grocery shopping with Brett and pretty much passed out for the rest of the day. I did not manage to do anything about lunch which probably contributed to the problem. I landed up making supper sitting in a chair in the kitchen - felt too weak to stand. About 7pm after eating I did feel much better.

That night I did not feel very good. Also worried about the next day - was it going to be as bad as today?

However we dragged ourselves out of bed for the next round. This time at the lab Brett took me out for breakfast while we waited. This really helped me feel a lot better with eggs and 2 coffees in my system.

Our next destination was in Kensington (this doctor seems to have offices all over) and again, we passed the place and walked up and down before finding it.

However the procedure went much better this time. I was more fertile and more relaxed. Plus I knew what to expect.

I was still bleeding from the previous day, though, which was a big concern for me, but he seemed to think I still had a chance.

So here's hoping!

1 comment:

Bird said...

wow! He damaged your cervix??? How awful!! how do you feel now?